Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back in Austin

  Vacations are great but I have never been very good at combining travel and training. If I do any training it is usually a run or too here and there and maybe a swim but never anything else. Well I am back in Austin and I have been grinding out some tough workouts in this heat. Last week I over extended myself when I should have pulled back on the reins and it ended up costing me a couple days of extra rest to recover. I just have to make sure that I am training in the shade, early morning hours or indoors.
  I have weighed myself after long runs and bike rides and it is not unusual for me to sweat out about 4-6 pounds. I have been hydrating pretty regularly with water and  Zico coconut water. I have enjoyed success with watered down Gatorade but I am looking to cut back on non natural sugars. I also have been eating a lot of fruit like watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries and pineapples to help with nutrient replacement and hydration and it seems to be doing the trick. It is frustrating to train in the summertime Texas heat. It's hot, I get grumpy and I just can't go as fast. This years La Nina weather pattern meant that we had no Spring to speak of and headed straight into 100 degree weather in May. It is now the end of June with no relief in site until September. Being out in the sun and heat definitely takes it's toll and I try to run and ride in the mornings and save the swims for my second workout of the day. I work late nights so that early morning alarm clock is not a fun noise. I try to make up the sleep difference with a post breakfast nap but sometimes there just isn't enough time.
  I am trying to run about 20-30 miles a week, ride about 70-100 miles a week and swim about 6-8 kilometers a week. I will ramp those distances up to peak for my big race which will be the Austin Triathlon on Labor day.  I am really looking forward to that race. It should be a lot of fun.
  Yesterday I had the pleasure of riding with my friend Paula out at the Veloway for a few laps. We started at a reasonable hour so the heat wasn't too bad. I brought my camera along for a few action shots.

Hook em Horns!
Paula riding the Veloway

  Oskar is doing great. We went on a slow 7 mile run around Ladybird Lake this morning with our friend Tony. He got to jump in and swim several times so now he is passed out on the floor for the rest of the afternoon. Lucky dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment