Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Surf break

  I had every intention of doing a great workout yesterday. The plan was simple: yoga, run and then core. But then the waves were looking pretty good at Ocean Beach here in San Francisco. So the plan was completely scrapped and replaced with a humbling surfing session. 
  I used to surf a few years ago. Now I am in better shape than I was back then but my wave knowledge is a little rusty. Reading the ocean to determine how the waves are coming in is a skill that takes a long time to acquire. When last I surfed I was just beginning to grasp some of the concepts. It is like a foreign language, if you don't use it you lose it. I had fun getting into the cold water and paddling out through the break but I only caught one wave, got bonked on the head with my surfboard, swallowed a gallon of seawater and nearly had my foot sliced open by the fin on my board. The last one was the deal breaker so I packed it in after that. But it was terribly fun and I am already scouting the surf reports for today.
Trail head where I surfed
  My long run on Sunday got switched to a long hike. It was about 5 miles along the same trail. In a way I think it was a little harder hiking it compared to running it. My legs are more sore than I think they would have been if I had run it. I think when you hike your stride is different and you engage different muscles for a longer period of time. Either way it ended up being a pretty good strength workout.
This is a view west of Golden Gate Bridge near the beginning of the hike.






























                    This near the end of the hike. It was quite a view.

No comments:

Post a Comment