Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rain Run

   Got woken up at 5 am for a 6 o'clock run by the roommate.
Steve: Colin?
Me: ...yeah...
Steve: It's 5 o'clock
Me: Ok
Steve: And it's raining.
Me: Crap

  Early morning runs are tough because I work late at nights but when you add in the fact that it is going to start during the tail end of a rainstorm  it is nearly impossible to get out of bed. I needed to run 12 miles today and I might have done it on my own but who are we kidding. After what seemed like a 100 years war in my head debating the merits of getting up and just going versus falling back to sleep I dragged my butt out of bed and into the kitchen for that first cup of coffee. I am glad I did.
  I won't lie, running is a tough start with it raining. I started dry and it made the first 10 minutes annoying as I was leaping over puddles and trying to keep my feet from getting soaked. Just get them wet already. I ran with Mark for the duration which was great because I got to catch him up on all of my triathlon race stories and plans. The down side of running with Mark is his famous "One Step." Mark runs next to you about one step ahead and it makes you want to speed up. If you do, then his natural running spot is still one step ahead. So he stays one step up and the whole time you are slowly speeding up. Mark doesn't really notice this because he has tremendous endurance and speed but the unlucky fool running with him, which today was me, ends up going way to fast. Lucky for me I caught on by the first water stop and asked to reel in the pace a bit and that I wasn't going to fall for the old "One Step" move again. After that the first half was a comfortable pace but we picked it up for the last 6 miles and especially the last 3. SSSHHH do not tell Amy. I saw a lot of old friends and picked up another pair of Nike Free's to wear to work, some running, and my everyday shoe. Thank you Rogue Running for the discount.
  Tomorrow I am heading down to Port Aransas to visit with my parents who have the R.V. parked there for the week. Oskar and I are planning on doing some open water swim practice together. Speaking of Oskar look where he is sleeping in this latest picture. Quite the fearless pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment