Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Unbearable heaviness of bricks

   I am starting to understand that the "brick" workout may be the secret ingredient to any success I may achieve. So far it has been the most difficult workout I have done and I think it's rewards will be invaluable as my races become harder. But Holy Hand Grenade they are very difficult.
  So as you may or may not have guessed I have just completed a brick. So as far as I know a brick is basically ride your bike then run. Once again rinse and repeat. There is a logistical aspect to planning this workout that proves a little tricky when doing it by yourself. What to do with your stuff when you are cycling and running. I have a track down the street from my house where I can lock up my bike. I can time myself more accurately on the track while keeping an eye on my bike. My running shoes are the Nike Free's which are very light and can fit in the back pockets of my cycling jersey. I mapped out a hilly 3.5 mile loop around the track and rode my bike with my running shoes sticking halfway out of my shirt praying they didn't fall out. As soon as my loop was done I quickly locked my bike up and put on my shoes and ran a mile on the track at 5k pace which for me is 7 minute miles. Well I was trying to maintain a 5k pace but I fell short by about 10-15 seconds. After the mile I fully recovered before starting another bike loop. I did three of these and the last two laps of the last mile were quite taxing to say the least. What I am trying to do is to teach my body to push out the lactic acid buildup in my legs while still maintaining a strong running pace. Now that I think about it where does all this lactic acid go while we are running? I never thought about that before.
  After the brick I took Oskar to the park for a bit before I did a nice and easy 3/4 mile swim at Big Stacy. I was done after all of that. DONE. I ate a slept for the rest of the afternoon.
  Today was an early morning run with my friend Tony on the trail, and Oskar, for about 4 miles. Oskar got to play in the park before we ran so he could get all of his craziness out of his system. He needed a pre-workout before our workout. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that he will never get the craziness out of him and I kind of dig that.

  So I still need to do an extensive core workout, weight training and tire flips before this day is done..

No comments:

Post a Comment