Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stray Showers messing it up

  I missed my long run on Saturday. I could give a few good excuses but basically it was too early in the morning for me to go so I skipped it. I should have ran anyway on my own but I didn't. In the interest of full disclosure the 4 or 5 beers on Friday night probably had something to do with it.
  The next day was a hot midday ride out and around Decker Lake and back with Dale and Chase. This was my first time riding with either of them so I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I am pleased to report that it went just fine. Chase is a pretty experienced cyclist who can easily keep up and push on ahead. Dale is just starting out with cycling and tri training in general but he did great. He didn't have any problems negotiating traffic, clipping in or riding fast with us.  Dale is competing in his first triathlon this Sunday out at the Texas Ski Ranch. That's right. It is race week again. Sunday morning will be my third triathlon when I suit up for Jack's Generic Tri. I can't wait.
  On Monday I got in a nice afternoon 4 mile run with good old Oskar. Although it was a little on the hot side he did pretty well with frequent dips into Town Lake. I tried to go swimming after that but that afternoon thunderstorm really hampered my plan. So I ended up at the movies.
  Tuesday was a complete wash training wise. I left my car overnight out at Barton Springs so when I went back to get it I took Oskar for a swim. As soon as I got home I spent the better part of the day working on my messenger bike. I changed a flat, cleaned the wheels, sprockets, brakes, chain and repacked the bearings in the front and back wheel. I love doing my own maintenance but I will leave my racing bike to the professionals. I  planned to ride to Barton Springs for a swim before work but after getting everything ready I took one pedal stroke in the direction of the pool and heard that old familiar sound that signifies that the pool is closed, thunder. When I was a lifeguard as a teenager the sound of thunder was a welcome break in the day. You got to clear the pool and play cards while still getting paid. Now I curse the sky for interrupting my training cycle.
  Today's plan is the same. Try to bike and or swim. I can always play cards if there is a thunderstorm I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment