Thursday, September 2, 2010

Next Race is Around the Corner

   This week is a short recovery week before Monday's big race. This past week I discovered that my next race will be wetsuit legal. The water temperatures need to be 78 degrees or under before they allow you to wear wetsuits. The added buoyancy of the suit allows you to swim a lot faster with a lot less effort. You can race without one but you would be giving yourself an instant disadvantage. Time was running out for me and I needed one soon.
TYR Hurricane C1 Wetsuit S/MThere is where Jack @ Jack and Adams comes in. The man is a saint. I walked in and told him my problem. He first suggested renting one online. Imagine that, a business owner sending away business because it would be cheaper for the customer. I thought about it but decided I would rather just buy one now and be done with it. I went in for a sleeveless one because they are cheaper. He didn't have the size I needed so he discounted a fullsuit to make up for the difference. He gave me 50% off!!!! I was amazed. This guy ROCKS! So now I am the proud owner of a full triathlon suit. It is the TYR Hurricane. I am very excited now.
  I took it for a quick swim on Tuesday morning and other than having some zipper difficulties the suit is great. I shaved another 4 minutes off of my mile time just by putting it on. This stuff is fun.
  Wednesday morning was an early 4 mile run with my friends Tony and Mandy. It got very muggy by the end of the run. Humidity came back. Yuck. I invited them to come watch my next race on Monday. I just realized it is the perfect race for my friends to come watch. It is in downtown Austin, so it's closer than the other races. It is on Labor Day so everybody is off work. It is early enough in the morning so you can still BBQ it up after it's over. My wave starts between 7:15 and 7:20 am. So come on downtown on Monday morning and hoot and holler!
  Today I got up and jumped on my bike for a quick 20 miler. Nothing too crazy to tire me out or anything. I just needed a ride to get the blood pumping through the muscles for an hour or so. I finished with enough time to get Oskar to Barking Springs for a bit. He did his rock diving trick much to the amazement of some swimmers who were walking by. One guy asked, "Dude, do you make your dog fetch rocks?" I answered, "I just throw them and he goes goes after them." It was my Zen moment. Oskar prefers the rocks to tennis balls for some reason. Not like that other crazy dog, Lucy. She is very ball fixated and will let you know when she starts to get impatient if you haven't thrown it fast enough for her. Oh that Lucy.
  A couple of more nice and easy workouts and then I am racing on Monday. Remember, the race is this Monday on September 6th in downtown Austin at Auditorium Shores if you want to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment