Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Busy couple of days

It's been a busy few days starting with Sunday at the Austin Marathon. I did not run this year although I kind of wished I had run it. It seemed to be near perfect weather and a lot of my friends had a great day of racing. Congrats to Kelly Harris for her Boston Qualifying time. It was great to see all of my Rogue Running friends out on the race course. My plan is to run with Rogue starting at the beginning of March for about 6 months for my Saturday long runs. After seeing my friends March can't come soon enough.
As for myself, I have fully recovered from my sick days and have got all of my workouts in so far this week. These include a one hour spin session on the trainer yesterday. I have been focusing on the trainer to try and improve my turnover speed and form. I followed it with a 15 minute core workout that I have been doing. It went pretty well and I am happy with the workout.
Today I finally got to swim. It feels like it has been forever since the last time I swam. I also used today's workout to improve my swimming form. I was in the waqter for about 36 minutes and swam 1200 by doing 12x100 intervals. I rested for about 10-15 seconds in between each interval so I could maintain enough focus on my form. I am trying to take less strokes per lap and glide for a bit longer. I can't wait to get out in the open water. I am excited to train with the Guppy Max group in the spring if they'll have me. Now all I have left is a round of strength training and that is my day.

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Colin! I'm jealous!! I started working out again a few weeks ago once the cast came off. Jerry laughs but oh well, time to reclaim my health! Weather sucked lately in Dallas but looking forward to jogging tonight around the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that Jerry. How far can he run without collapsing? Hahaha just kidding. Glad to hear the cast is off and you are working out again. Remember go sloooowwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dusted off the old garmin from when I was training for the White Rock Marathon 3 years ago... I did one mile on Wednesday, two on Thursday, and my son and I conquered two miles this morning! Although I'm only hitting my miles in 13 minutes a mile... I'm taking my time... the first time I broke the foot was a week before the 2007 Rock. I cried like a baby after training for so long... was in the best shape of my life! When the cast came off - I pushed myself too hard and rebroke the foot - was casted all the way to the knee (spring '08). When I broke the foot for the 3rd time in December 2009, my friends say something must be telling me to give up on running the Rock - that's not going to happen... I WILL MASTER THAT DAMN RACE THIS YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I ran the Chicago Marathon a couple of years ago I ran into a girl and her friend at a pizza joint after the race. She had a cast on her foot that was flexible because she had a fractured foot. She ran it anyway because it was her third time breaking it while training for the marathon. She was tired of not being able to do it. I was blown away by her toughness. My roommate and I secretly bought their pizza. Pros to the tough ones like you who don't give up.

    ReplyDelete