Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Meet and Greet

Hello,
  My name is Colin Moss, I live in Austin, Texas and I am a novice blogger and triathlete. In other words I have done neither. So any mistakes in form and style in the actual blog should be forgiven and any creative constructive advice will be much appreciated.
Now as for the triathlon part I am a beginner with respect to training, preparing, and racing in a triathlon. My background in this area is that I grew up a swimmer hating running and biked only for fun. After I turned thirty I quit smoking and started exercising regularly. After a year of kickboxing and all the little injuries that go along with it I went searching for a sport that had a lot less contact.
  My friend and I took up marathon training from a coach at RunTex named Dave Moody. He is a sub 3 hour marathoner who convinced two non runners that we could finish a marathon with about 6 months of training. He was right and three years later I am turning to the dark side, i.e., triathlons. My plan is to get through five races of Sprint, Olympic and Half Ironman distances, injury free and with a sense of accomplishment that I did the best that I could. I will be self coached with the help of books, online articles, advice from friends and strangers. This will be an organic process that will unfold as I discover what I am capable of.
Now for the physical side of me. I am 34 years old, about 185-190 lbs (depending on the day), and I run a four hour marathon. I am not doing this to lose weight but the fortunate side effect of triathlon training is that if done right it can get you into shape. This is my first official week of training but I have spent the last two months strength training, and doing basic workouts in all three disciplines getting ready for the next 8 months of training.
 This week I will be testing to see what my times, heart rate and lactate thresholds are in the three events. For those of you who are not familiar with triathlons more information will follow as the blog progresses but basically you swim, bike, and then run. The distances vary depending on the races.
So if you are interested then follow along to see how it goes.
Thanks,
Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment