Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Speed Work On the Trail

  After Oskar terrorized the dog park for about an hour I got to run Town Lake for 5 miles. Oskar is still a puppy, with a lot of energy, and a very patient lady said it was "OK" that he was jumping on her because he was still so cute. I wonder how long that will last.
  My 5 mile run on the trail included fartleks. Funny name I know but it means "speed play" in Swiss. Basically it's interval training that is less structured. I ran easy for a little over 10 minutes and then did 20 second sprints followed by 1 minute active recovery (easy pace). I definitely got a really good workout in. After that I cruised home to finish the day with a 15 minute core workout and 3x20 Tire Flips. I could barely breathe when I was done.
  I just found this guys website mutantfitness.com , it looks like the kind of extra curricular training I'd like to do on top of swim/bike/run.
  On a side note I have been tracking all of my workouts at Mapmytri. For those who have never used mapmyrun or mapmyride it is an invaluable tool for the self coached athlete. It helps me keep all of my workouts organized for later reference.
Thanks for reading y'all.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, fartleks... when I was training wtih RunOn here in Dallas a few years ago we did fartleks all the time... hated em... especially if I was in the back of the pack and had to sprint all the way up to the front of 12-15 runners in my group. Now, when she would call us out in the middle, I didn't mind so much!

    ReplyDelete