Friday, May 21, 2010

Oskar the Hero

  Well maybe not a hero per se but he helped a disc golfer instead of annoy him which is what he usually does. It all went down like this. On a hot and humid afternoon Oskar need a little swim time so he and I headed down to Shoal Creek at Pease Park to get in a little puppy dog time. He was panting and a little overheated before we even got there. Note to self: Fix the AC in the car. We got out of the car and walked down near the 24th street bridge. I had his dog Frisbee with me and I found a tennis ball along the way. Armed with two powerful tools of distraction I felt confident that this was going to be successful outing at the park. Little did I suspect how proud I would be of the little guy by the time we would get back to the car.
  As we are walking down towards the water a girl walking by, clearly exercising with headphones on, had not noticed the black blur heading her way, Oskar adjusts his course heading strait towards her. I yell, "Hey Oskar!!!" while brandishing the Frisbee in my left hand and the tennis ball in the right. Too late as she realizes the danger and there is no time for her to dodge the puppy onslaught that is about to occur. At the last possible moment he angles away from her to chase the tennis ball I had just thrown in the opposite direction. Her eyes had just shrank back from their look of fear when she literally snarls at me and Oskar. Oh well.
  When we make it to the water I set my stuff down near a tree and Oskar scrambles down the slope to jump into the creek. I start throwing rocks for him to chase and he loves it. I have learned a while ago that he doesn't fetch that well in the water but he loves to chase after the splash of a recently submerged stone. The place where we are playing is in between two disc golf baskets and I am very mindful of the golfers after Oskar once stole a disc and pranced around the park while we were trying to get him to let go. At this time two guys are getting ready to chunk their discs over the creek that Oskar is currently splashing through and I ask them if we are in their way and they said we were fine. The first disc they throw lands about 40 yards from Oskar and skids off the creek embankment to land in the water. I quickly toss some rocks in the opposite direction. It is all about timing the distraction.
  The golfers pass by and look to see where their discs ended up. After about ten minutes I heard one of them say that somebody in the future would get lucky and find his disc one day. They started to walk off and I thought to myself: This sounds like a job for OSKAR! We walked down to where they were looking and a section of the creek where I thought the disc might have been was covered in a thick filmy substance not allowing you to see under it. I threw a rock at the area and Oskar dove after it. The resulting wave cleared the area revealing the guys blue green disc. It was still a tough spot for him to get at so I kept tossing stones at the disc until Oskar picked it up between his two paws and put it in his mouth. The golfers were really impressed and Oskar could sense their excitement. So much so that he proceeded to prance around the creek with the guys disc in his jaws splashing the two guys with filmy gross creek water. It was hilarious. The guys were so stoked about the rescue that they didn't care about the new teeth marks on the disc. Hooray!!!!
   In other news, yesterday I ran 4 miles on the trail with my friend Tony and then got on the bike trainer at home for an hour doing spin ups and one legged spins. Today I swam 1 mile in Barton Springs for my long swim. But this day totally belongs to Oskar.

No comments:

Post a Comment