Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Working working working....

  Sunday:
     I slept in a bit and drove out to Southwest Parkway for my long ride on the bike. Following the recommendation of my friend Amy I rode out to Fitzhugh road and back for a total of 33.5 miles. The ride didn't start till noon so it was a pretty damn hot day in the sun. I took two water bottles filled with ice and Gatorade in one and just ice and water in the other. I had drank them both by the halfway point. Luckily just beyond the halfway point was a store to resupply. The route was out and back through rolling hills. Fitzhugh road has some nice climbs and descents on it making it a very good workout. I turned around at mile 16 but I missed a turn towards the end and after backtracking I finished with an extra mile and a half. Wrong turns just mean bonus miles. After my run on Saturday my legs were not at 100 percent so it made the ride even harder. A cold dip in Barton Springs made it all worth the heat and punishment.

  Monday:
     An early 7 mile run on the trail with good ol' Oskar. It was actually a tempo run. So I started off easy for the first 15 minutes and then intended to do the next 30 minutes at a 10 k pace but I could only hold it for 25 minutes. Oskar did fine until the very end and I knew he finally got tired. We took Oskar breaks 3 or 4 times so he could jump in Ladybird lake and cool off. We finished the run at Barton Springs and that cold cold water was exactly what I needed. I am starting to sense a pattern with how my non-swimming workouts will all end this summer. The water cools me off and saves my legs for the next workout.
  Which in this case was Jack and Adams Monday night core class. The guy running it started it with this statement, "This is my first and last time to do this." You could tell he was a little nervous and it showed when we would be doing the exercise on the left side and he would forget to to the right side. Or he would occasionally forget what number we were going to. This class seemed more focused on the Abs as opposed to the overall core but it was great because I did learn a few new torture maneuvers to use on my own. I don't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the class. It was a very good workout and I am thankful Jack and Adams puts it on for free every week.
  After the core class I went down to Big Stacy for my swim workout. Summer has arrived and the pool was packed. All three lanes had at least three swimmers in it and sometimes four. I started off with a 200 warm up followed by 100 kicking and then another easy 100. After that was sprints. I did 10 a full length sprints at all out effort, or throw up speed, followed by a full length easy recovery after each sprint. It was a great swim.
   Off to bed early so I can Bike and Swim today. Speaking of which I gotta go ride my bike now.

1 comment:

  1. Damn Dude! You are really kicking out these workouts. We will definitely have to go ride one of these weekends.

    ReplyDelete