Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting closer to recovery week

   Tuesday workout was fantastic. I started off with an up tempo 26 mile ride through Austin. I went out Lake Austin, up Mt Bonnell (for fun), down Shoal Creek, over to Arryo Seco, Duval, through UT campus and east on Manor to my house. I had a quick lunch, loaded the dogs in the car and went out to Big Stacy for some swimming.
  I met my friend Barton at the pool and we did an easy 200 warm up followed by pulling 600. If you add in another 100 on the kickboard that equates to one exhausted triathlete and two anxious dogs waiting in the car to go to the park.
  Oskar, Lucy, and I had a quick trip to Auditorium shores where they swam and ran and swam and chased and swam and well you get the idea. The three of us went home for a quick nap and a second lunch. I had a weight training session that included but is not limited to: Lunges, curls, tricep extensions, calf raises, swiss ball hamstring curls, and about 80 tire flips.
  After all of that nonsense I ate first dinner, I love tri training, and the dogs and I made a second trip down to Auditorium shores. They were so well behaved. They were not in any of the scuffles, didn't steal anybody's toys, came to me when called to and never stopped playing. On the way home I had to take Lucy's pulse because she was completely wiped out. Oskar was too and as a matter of fact so was I. My reward for a long day was pizza and cider for second dinner.
  Today was slightly scaled back but a little more intense. Wednesday is now officially brick day! Out to the Veloway at noon (94 degrees). A warm up lap and then a fast paced lap followed by an run that was just less than a mile. Rinse and repeat for a total of three circuits. I wanted to hit four but it was just too hot. I averaged about 17 mph on the bike (includes warm up speed) and I ran 7:00 minute miles which for me is my 5K pace.
  After second breakfast the dogs and I went down to Barking Springs for a little R n R. The water level was up and the current was a little stronger. Oskar of course had a blast but as far as I know this was Lucy's first trip down to dog heaven. She is not the best or let us say the most enthusiastic swimmer out there so when she swam to me across the current I was shocked and stoked at the same time. They chased all the rocks I tossed in the water and swam back to the other side with no problem when it was time to leave. Whew...what a busy few days.

1 comment:

  1. What race are you training for? I just got my bike today and I would love some tips about safe road routes to train on. BTW I am big wuss and do not like crazy car traffic. Good job on all the training too. You are hardcore!! Paula

    ReplyDelete