Friday, June 18, 2010

Catching Up and an Eyeful

   Wow this stuff catches up to you if you don't pay attention to it. I have a couple of days to catch up on so here we go. On Wednesday I did my brick workout at the Veloway. I ended up doing 15 miles on the bike and 4 miles running. The sets were broken up by 3 mile bike loop followed by 1 mile run and repeat. When I first got to the Veloway I did an easy loop warm up before I started the workout. When I was finishing my loop this guy passes me. Immediately it seemed kinda weird. He kept looking back at me as he was riding away. Well when I started my workout loop I wanted to go considerably faster than I did for the first loop so I could get some lactic acid buildup in my legs to simulate racing conditions. I ended up passing that guy from earlier and he instantly sped up to draft off of me. As annoying as that was it didn't compare to how obnoxious he was when we started to hit the turns. He was still right behind me and I was trying to ignore him but on a particularly sharp left turn he dove his bike into the turn to cut me off and pass me. Idiot right? Well I let him get some distance from me because I wasn't there to race Mr. Drafty McDraferton. Sure enough when I got back up to speed for my workout I ended up passing him and he did the same thing but this time he cut the turn way to close and I hit the brakes to let him go way ahead of me. I calmly let that fun guy go and finished my loop. I ran all of my miles at 5K pace slicing off about 20 seconds on my run times every loop. I was hot and tired by the end of it.
  Thursday was my recovery day with Tony on Town Lake for 4 miles. I usually take Ol' Oskar but I decided to give him a little break from the heat and humidity. Oskar, Lucy and I spent a lot of time at Red Bud Isle after that Lucy really got in an swam on her own. You could kind of watch her learning and building up her courage with each pawstroke. She was very inspirational.
  Today was my long swim and I did a mile at Barton Springs. I have forgotten that it is legal for women to go topless at the Springs. So you could imagine my surprise when I was swimming along on the second half of my first lap, I started to pass two swimmers on my left hand side and as I rolled over to breath I received quite a shock as one of the ladies was not wearing a top. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to stop for a second and gather my thoughts but I thought that might seem a little inappropriate. I also felt like if I did stop it would be the perfect camera shot for some sort of candid camera show they must be filming. So I just kept my head down and kept swimming.  About a half mile later the same thing happened with two other girls who were swimming perpendicular to me. They weren't swimming laps but just crossing the pool. They weren't watching where they were going and I barely saw the two submerged breasts in time and stopped my hand from landing right where my intentions might have been called into question. What the heck was going on at the Springs today? I had one more lap and then I got out. I figured it was good open water swim practice while trying to focus with all those distractions. Hahaha.

1 comment:

  1. How do you forget about the topless rule?
    On another note, I really wish I could have seen your face when that happened.

    ReplyDelete