Sunday, June 20, 2010

Weekend Round Up

  I think all of this training is starting to slowly pay off. It is a little frustrating dividing your training hours between the three events because your progression in each individual event is slower than if you were training for let us say just a marathon. If you add the heat and humidity of training in Texas during the summer then it is hard to judge if you are getting any better. Well here I am 2/3 of my way through my latest 3 week build and I don't feel absolutely horrible. Actually I feel pretty good. My plan is to make slow progress for the next 4 months and when the temps drop come race day I hope to have a stellar Half Ironman race!
  After Friday's adventure at Barton Springs the weekend workouts seem a little less exciting. Saturday morning began with about 4 hours of sleep for a 14 mile 6 am run with the good people at Rogue. Warm and humid were the annoying details but the run went pretty well. I started with my friend Scooby for the first couple of miles. It was good catching up with him but he was on a different run schedule than I was. We caught up with his wife Jennifer so I traded up and let Scooby go. We scooped up Super Joe and Incredible Iva and proceeded to slowly grind out the rest of our 14 miler. It was a struggle but I felt better than my last few long runs. Running with good friends really helps too. The requisite dip into Barton Springs with the dogs was a blast and then a long nap.
  Today was an early wake up to ride with Craig, Scooby and Heidi. I rode over to Craig's house off of Exposition to get in some extra miles. I ended up doing a total of 35 miles up and down Shoal Creek, through West Campus, down to Town Lake and back. We had fun and the sprint that Craig and I did southbound on Great Norther Boulevard was definitely the most fun part of the day. Craig got to experience drafting at a high rate of speed for the first time as we leap frogged each other to the end of the road. I also got to explore a trail under Mopac I have never been on before so all in all I say it was a pretty successful day.
  Oskar and Lucy got in some swim time themselves at Barkin' Springs too and are now sleeping soundly under my feet. All is well here at the casa.
                                     This is about as close to still that I can get them to pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment