Saturday, June 12, 2010

Long Bike, Long Run and still a Long Weekend.

   Early Friday morning I suited up for a 40 mile bike ride from my house in east Austin to Decker Lake and back. The route around the lake is the same route for my next race and if you know Decker then you know those great big hills that go with it. I got started about 9 am and cut through some back roads to avoid streets that weren't so bicycle friendly. When I got to Decker I entered the loop on the North West corner of the course and started huffing and puffing my way around it. Around 2 miles in I realized not a single car had passed me. Was it because it was still early in the morning? Okay 10 am is still an early bike ride for me. I got my answer when I got around to the south side of the lake and noticed literally hundreds and hundreds of motorcycles out at the exposition center. I totally forgot it was the Republic of Texas motorcycle rally here in Austin this weekend and people avoid that area if they aren't apart of it. Besides the loud noise the Harley's were great. I decided to do 2 Decker loops and on a down hill on Decker Lane Rd I got up to about 38-39 mph much to the surprise of the motorcyclist that was slowly passing me. 40 miles later and I was zapped of all my strength.
   No time for napping though because Lucy and Oskar needed some play time so it was off to Barkin' Springs. They did great in the crowded waters until it was time to leave. There was a nice pit mix puppy dog that wanted to make sweet sweet love to poor little Oskar. He wasn't having any of it and was running all over the concrete slab trying to escape. The owner of the other dog and I were trying to catch our dogs when Lucy, who was not about to be upstaged, decided to dive directly into the middle of a blanket belonging to a couple of sunbathers. As she was rolling around, tongue hanging out, smiling, mud being plastered all over their belongings one of the girls was laughing hysterically while the other one was well, let's just say she was less than pleased. I had to abandon Operation Rescue Oskar in order to detain Lucy. Luckily the other dog owner broke up the tryst and I snatched Oskar and beat a hasty retreat. Although it was a slightly embarrassing moment it I laughed all the way to the car.
  Today I woke up at around 5 am for my 10 mile run with Rogue. 84 degrees and 80 percent humidity was enough to wear me out. That and I averaged about 2 minutes faster per mile for the last 5 miles. More naps, recovery smoothies, second breakfasts and first lunches later and I am ready to head to work. Woohoo!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't bring myself to post publicly what I want to say about Oskar's experience!!!!

    Good work today. Sorry all I had time for was a wave, but it was good to see you, dear man.

    ReplyDelete