Thursday, June 10, 2010

Big Hills and Big Fish!

    Tuesday was a fun filled morning of running hill repeats. Yes I forced myself to run hills by myself. And yes I actually kind of liked them. There is a little hill across the street from the Yellow Jacket Track that runs behind the Millennium Youth Complex on Walnut Ave. If you run up the hill and loop around for the recovery it is just short of a 1/2 mile. The hill is short but according to Map My Tri it has a 9% grade making it quite steep. So I ran from my house to the track and did a couple of loops around the track for a warm up and then started the repeats at 5K pace seven times with the ipod blaring. I have come to discover over the past few years that I tend to run on emotion from time to time and when I need that extra energy music does the trick. This makes for some good workouts but come race day I have to learn some more discipline to harness the power contained within. It's true I have run three marathons, cried at all three. Yep and I am not afraid to admit it.
    The next day was pouring down raining so I got on the trainer for a solid hour spin. Right after that I did this high intensity resistance workout I got from Men's Health (1-year). It's the same one for the guy on that HBO show Spartacus and I figured since he's ripped it must be good. Here's the link for anyone interested.
   Today was my recovery run with Tony at Dirty Bird Lake. I mean Lady Bird Lake actually. The recent rains we have had here in Austin have made Town Lake less than appealing in certain spots. There is a lot of "Stuff" floating around the shores. But after my run today I noticed some very large catfish getting it on in and around the junk near the shores. These things were HUGE. They must have been at least 8-10 inches in diameter.
   My beloved and sweet puppy dog Oskar has finally learned to escape from the back yard. I do not exactly know how he is doing it just yet. He may be crawling under a portion of the fence or he might just be jumping over. I did not think he could jump that high but it is possible he is leaping off the back of a less than thrilled Lucy. I kind of hope it's the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment