Friday, February 19, 2010

Swim Day

  Yay!! I finished a one mile swim. Unfortunately I wasn't able to time it since I forgot my watch. I swam at the best little secret in Austin and it's called Big Stacy Pool. It is a free, heated, outdoor pool that is open year round. It has three lanes roped off dedicated to lap swimmers. I really enjoy swimming at this pool. Did I mention it was free? Yep, free. Thank you city of Austin.
  My ultimate goal in this whole training adventure is the Longhorn Half Ironman. The course is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and a 13.1 mile run. I am already close to being able to finish the distance in a pool but I reckon it will be more difficult in open water. I can definitely run the 13.1 mile distance and I think with some work I can get my legs "up to speed" for the bike part. While living in New York this last summer I was a bike messenger in Manhattan for Breakaway Couriers. Side note: I loved this job. On a busy day I was riding about 30-40 miles a day but it was spread out over an 8 hour period. Right now I am pretty confident that I can get to that distance goal of 56 miles before race day.
  I started the morning off with Oskar at the dog park. It was nice to see that this little cattle dog has absolutely no fear of other dogs, even the gigantic German Shepherd that none of the other dogs would mess with. After he got his exercise it was my turn.
   Tomorrow is either a long run or long bike ride depending on the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment