Monday, February 22, 2010

Swimming is good for you

 
  Monday is the start of the new week. This is the last week of my 3 prep weeks and then on to Base 1 building. All of this can be found here:The Triathlete's Training Bible if anyone is curious about periodization training.
  Today was a swim day down at Big Stacy. I did a 200 warm up, 2x400 pull (with a buoy) at a moderate pace, 200 cool down for a total of 1200. It was right at about 30 minutes total pool time. Everything felt good, all in all it was a solid swim.
  I picked up this old tractor tire, pictured up above, at GCR Tires.It weighs about 150 lbs and is about 3.5 feet in diameter. It was marked as scrap and they gave it to me for free but I tipped the "yard guy" 20 for helping me find it and load it in my truck.
  The point of this is that I am incorporating it into my core workout. I flip it. Without Oskar in it of course. You squat down while arching your back and lifting with your legs you pick up one side with an underhanded grip. Once you get it a over 45 degrees you switch your grip overhand and push it over. I did it 6x10 times and man I was whipped. I like the Rocky Balboa style workout. If anybody has any other ideas like this feel free to let me know.
  p.s. Oskar was safe in the middle of the yard chewing his new bone.

2 comments:

  1. dude. i have been enjoying the blog. But, where on earth did you come up with this workout trick?! Very dedicated and a little funny!

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lana,
    I first saw the tire flip workout for the guys in the movie the 300. It looked like it worked for them. I have also seen it at cross fit places and websites too. I like it.

    ReplyDelete