Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hump Day Frump Day

   So isolated t-storms and high humidity won't keep me from going for a bike ride.  Okay I had a little help getting out of the door this morning. I have discovered that being a self trained triathlete comes with it's own set of obstacles.  Self-motivation has always been one of my lesser traits and on a morning like today with a high chance of thunder boomies coupled with an ominously dark sky made for a tough figurative mountain to climb. Luckily I had help.  I could have easily broke in my AeroBars on the trainer and skipped my planned trip to the Veloway. I read my friend Glenda's facebook post about seeing bunnies down at the Veloway and had to see for myself. But upon waking up this morning and seeing the weather I wavered a little on my commitment. Like I said I had help. Oddly enough my friend Emily's training group was planning to do a ride down there. She had recently purchased a new pair of cycling shoes, Oskar decided the $10 kong was no match for the $100 plus cycling shoes of Emily's, so they needed replacing. The problem was the fact that she hadn't switched out her cleats from her old shoes to the new ones and did not have the right tool to do it. I did and despite her modest amount of protest I drove down to the Veloway to get her new shoes read (Oh that Oskar) and get an 18 mile ride in.
  To those reading this who aren't familiar the Veloway is a paved trail that is open to cyclist and skaters only. It is a tad over 3 miles long and there is no pedestrian or automobile traffic. Apparently there are bunny rabbits as well but I cannot confirm this just yet. The trail is next to the end of Mopac, Texas State Highway Loop 1 and what most people do is ride a lap or two around the Veloway to warm up and then do a loop south on Mopac for about 8 miles and come back for a loop or two again on the Veloway for a cool down. It is a great place to ride if you get the chance to.
  After cycling we had some breakfast and went to Big Stacy for Day 3 of a full swim week. The same dark clouds from earlier worked to our advantage and kept a lot of the regulars away so we had the pool almost to ourselves. Emily's learning curve for her swimming is in the full upswing (i hope that makes sense). In other words she is rapidly improving her form and swim economy. I am very proud. I pulled 400 warm up, 8X50 sprints and another 400 cool down.
  Long day so far. Now off to engage in a serious discussion with Oskar about which shoes to chew up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment