Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Running in San Francisco


  Time flies quickly when not training. I can’t seem to remember my last workout although I know it was last week. I was busy cleaning up Barton Springs for a few hours but that was hard labor shoveling gravel so I took the rest of that day off. Then one day turned into two, then three and I kept making up excuses. I am afraid I am nearing the burnout point of my training. It is September 22nd and my next and last race is October 17th.  To be fair I did just help a friend move to California these last few days. I have been driving a Uhaul across the country with little to no sleep, and after loading and unloading the darned thing it was easy to tell myself that was my workout. All if that changed today.
  Today I had one of those breakthrough workouts that changed my whole outlook. It started out innocuous enough. I am in San Francisco until Monday so all my workouts will either be running or surfing. I think surfing is close enough to swimming for it to count but there hasn’t been any cycling for quite a while now. So today I planned a 5 mile run through Golden Gate Park, which by the way ranks right up there with running in Central Park in New York or Forest Park in Portland. The weather was a fantastic 63 degrees and sunny. San Francisco is a little hilly in case you haven’t heard so you are either going uphill or down hill when you run here. Flat spots are a little hard to come by. I remembered something on my run today. I remembered I can run pretty well, and I am a lot faster than I have been led to believe based on my performances at my races and training this summer. I ran hard for 5 miles up and down the hills in Golden Gate Park and loved every second of it.  I finished not drenched in sweat, out of breath and burnt to a crisp.  Instead I felt like running 15 more miles, which I didn’t, and happy to be a runner again.
  So look out Half-Ironman, if I can get this running thing back on track by the time race day starts then it’s a whole new race.

No comments:

Post a Comment